Senior Care in Oakmont CA
The role of caregiver is usually occupied by well-meaning family members who want to help their elderly parent with the tasks they are unable to do. While their intentions are good, the responsibilities that end up being put on their lap can take a toll on their health. According to a Commonwealth Fund study, 60 percent of caregivers between the ages of 19 and 64 reported having fair or poor health, as well as developing one or more chronic condition.
The solution to this problem that caregivers often face is respite care. Respite care is for family members who need a break from their caregiving role by hiring a senior care provider to take over. There are several benefits to using this form of care, including the following:
- Provides relaxation. Caring for an older adult can be a stressful job. Respite care can help by giving these family members a chance to rejuvenate their minds and bodies by doing activities that help them relax. Exercise, reading, or spending a day at the spa are just a few ways you can relax.
- Quality care from professional. With respite care, you do not need to worry whether or not your loved one is being properly cared for. Since the senior care provider has experience, they are able to offer the same quality of care that you would offer yourself.
- Gives you space. Spending every waking hour with your aging parent can be exhausting, especially since you rarely get time to yourself. Respite care will allow you to have a little space from them, even if it is just for a few hours. You may even be able to get a whole new appreciation for your loved one when you are given a little break.
- Remember who you are. Since you are often more concerned over the elder’s well-being instead of your own, you may not remember what your identity is. Using respite care will allow you to put yourself first for a change.
- Come up with a new plan. Taking some time off may be exactly what you need to see things clearly. You may be able to come up with a new caregiving plan or find resources that will help.
- Reconnect with friends and family. Respite care will also give you the opportunity to socialize with friends and family members. You can meet them for lunch, talk to them on the phone, or do other activities you enjoy doing together.
Respite care can be a huge blessing for family caregivers. These advantages should give you the break you need and deserve.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in Oakmont, CA, call At Your Service Home Care. Call today! Sonoma County: (707) 238-5700 or Marin County: (415) 942-8955