Elderly Care in Novato CA
Has your elderly loved one ever needed to catch their breath after climbing a flight of stairs? Then their respiratory system probably is not as healthy as it should be. Since the elder is in need of several breaks to help catch their breath, they may need help from a senior care provider to complete tasks that are too challenging for them to do alone, such as cleaning. There could be a number of reasons for the senior’s inability to walk very far before needing a break. Some of the most common factors are:
- Lack of physical activity
- Infectious diseases
Even if your loved one currently has a weak respiratory system, there are activities that can be done to strengthen this part of their body. Here are a few activities older adults can do to improve their respiratory health.
- Walk faster. Brisk walking can actually increase how long a person lives. According to one study, adults over the age of 65 who walked 2.25 mph or faster lived longer than those who walked slower.
- Shed extra weight. If your loved one is overweight, this could be the reason for their breathing issues. This is because additional weight can put more pressure on the lungs and compresses all of the respiratory muscles. Maintaining a healthy weight is the best way to prevent this from happening. This can be done through a healthy diet full of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and protein. Daily exercise can also help the elder lose any extra pounds.
- Drink water. Drinking plenty of water throughout the day can help the senior reach their weight loss goal, while also creating a thinner consistency of mucus lining the lungs and airways. When the elder becomes dehydrated, the mucus will become thicker and stickier, causing the respiratory system to work at a much slower rate.
- Quit smoking. If your loved one is a smoker, now is the perfect time to quit. This unhealthy habit can cause the respiratory system to become inflamed, increasing the oxidative stress in respiratory cells, and even resulting in the death of cells. If the elder continues to smoke, they are at risk of several health problems, like emphysema, chronic bronchitis, chronic lung disease, and lung cancer.
Getting an elderly family member to take better care of their respiratory health is not an easy task, but one that can greatly improve their ability to do a number of tasks, while also allowing them to continue being independent. Encourage them to try these tips in order to improve their respiratory functions.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elderly care in Novato, CA, call At Your Service Home Care. Call today! Sonoma County: (707) 238-5700 or Marin County: (415) 942-8955