Elder Care in Healdsburg CA
Exercise is important for children and elderly adults alike, but how do mobility impaired seniors participate in the activities? Chronic health conditions, along with pain in the joints, muscles, and bones can make it difficult to even want to partake in daily exercises. What many older adults do not realize is that they do not have to perform high intensity exercises in order to stay healthy and fit. There are other ways your loved one can stay active without overextending themselves.
With the doctor’s approval and help from an elder care provider, here are 5 exercises that will keep your loved one active.
- Walking. Walking is a simple, but effective exercise. Your loved one can burn tons of calories and strengthen their muscles without even realizing it.
- Garden. While the sun is still shining outside, gardening is an excellent cardiovascular workout that can be easily done by people of different physical abilities. With all of the squatting, bending, digging, and lifting that has to be done during this activity, your elderly loved one will be able to get fit, while creating a beautiful garden.
- Swimming. This is another activity that can burn a lot of calories without even realizing it. Swimming is perfect for the summer months, since it will keep the elder cool, while also strengthening their muscles and improving their mobility. Elders with arthritis have especially found this physical activity to be effective at reducing their joint aches and pains.
- Dance. Does your loved one enjoy a certain type of music? If so, turn it on and start moving. This is something that can either be done on your own or as part of a class. Look for classes in your loved ones area that they will enjoy, while also helping them manage their weight.
- Join a club. Senior centers and fitness clubs usually have some classes available that will help elderly adults break a sweat, while doing an activity they enjoy. Some possible classes could include bowling, aerobics, water aerobics, strength training, or golf. Yoga, tai chi, and other gently exercise classes can also help your loved one build muscle and increase their flexibility.
Physical activities could help the elder improve their ability to move. One of the best ways to ensure your loved one participates in these activities is by letting them do what they like. Encourage them to try some new classes or activities until they find the one they enjoy participating in.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Elder Care in Healdsburg, CA, call At Your Service Home Care. Call today! Sonoma County: (707) 238-5700 or Marin County: (415) 942-8955