Choosing gifts to give your aging parent for the holiday season can be one of the best parts of your caregiver journey with them. Even if they are suffering from limitations and challenges, you can show your senior how much you are thinking about them and love them by giving gifts that are meaningful and will help them to live their highest quality of life as they age in place. This can be especially important for an elderly adult who is dealing with challenges such as memory loss.
Let these ideas inspire you for meaningful gifts that you can give to a senior who is suffering from memory loss this holiday season:
- A personal recorder that they can easily carry around with them and use to voice personal notes and reminders for themselves. These can be what groceries they need, who they need to call, questions that they want to ask, or anything else that they want to remember.
- A nice notepad or notebook and pen that they can carry with them to jot down notes or allow others to write notes.
- An identification bracelet with their name on the front and identifying information such as a phone number or address on the back. This can give them greater confidence when they are out of the home.
- Photo albums of their family members, important locations, and other valuable elements of their life along with clear descriptions so that your parent can remember them.
- A journal or book with the encouragement to write out their personal history, memories, and other stories both for themselves and for the future generations of their family.
If you have been looking for ways to enhance your aging parent’s quality of life and support a lifestyle that is as healthy, strong, happy, and independent as possible as they age in place, starting elder care for them might be the ideal solution. An elderly home care services provider can be with your parent on a customized schedule that ensures your parent has all that they need to live a lifestyle that is safe, healthy, and comfortable, but also supports fulfillment and engagement throughout their later years. This means that they are able to address their individual challenges, limitations, and needs in the ways that are right for them, but also encourage them to be active and make the most of this chapter in their lives.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elder care in Sebastopol, CA, call At Your Service Home Care. Call today! (707) 573-1003
She became a discharge planner and immediately fell in love with the concept of home care and the autonomous clinical practice it affords nurses. Dr. Lucy was hooked and has been a strong supporter of home care ever since.Believing people need advocates in healthcare systems, she has championed that cause across the acute care and post-acute care setting.
Dr. Lucy has worked in every aspect of home care from Medicare Certified, DME, Infusion, Hospice and finally Private Duty/Private Pay services. She also works as a home care consultant across the country and as a legal nurse consultant for the home care industry.
Having worked in all areas of home care, Dr. Lucy has a well-rounded perspective of the challenges facing patients, families and the home care industry, and as a provider she advocates for patients through the maze of health care services. Dr. Lucy celebrated over 37 years as a nurse and patient advocate.
Dr. Lucy has a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing from Lewis University, Romeoville, Illinois.In 1994, she received her Masters of Science in Health Service Administration from St. Mary's University, Moraga, California. Dr. Lucy received her Doctor of Nursing Practice awarded in 2016, graduating with Distinction and a 4.0 GPA.
She did her doctoral work on the global dementia crisis, aging and prevention strategies for healthy living. Developed dementia and Alzheimer's disease plans for aging patients leaving the hospital setting or entering long-term care or home health and hospice environments. She also developed a specialized program for those at risk for dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
In 1992, Dr. Lucy was designated CAHSAH Certified Home Care Administrator in the inaugural offering of this designation through the California Association for Health Services at Home (CAHSAH).
She is the founder and CEO of Creative Solutions Home Care Consulting Services and At Your Service Nursing & Home Care, a concierge nursing & home care agency that provides the services she believes are essential for seniors to age in place.She offers a higher level of care allowing people to be in their own homes with an emphasis on independence, safety, and quality of life.
Dr. Lucy is the Vice Chair of the Board of Directors for the National Association for Home Care and Hospice (NAHC) and sits on the Board of Directors for California Association for Health Services at Home (CAHSAH).
She has served on the boards for both state and national board associations, and is currently on the following boards and committees: Board of Directors, California State Association for Health Services at Home (CAHSAH), 2002-present, National Association for Home Care and Hospice (NAHC's) Private Duty Home Care Association Director, and multiple state and national home care committees.
Dr. Lucy goes to Washington, DC, several times a year to advocate for senior services and home care issues. She was past Commissioner for the Sonoma Commission on Human Rights.She is past chair of the local Senior Advocacy Services.
Latest posts by Lucy Andrews DNP, RN, MS (see all)
- What Can Cause Safety Issues for Your Senior Regarding Driving? - January 17, 2018
- Prevent Chronic Conditions in the Elderly - January 10, 2018
- What Can You and Your Family Members Do to Better Understand Your Senior’s Wishes? - January 3, 2018